This is our next installment in our series called Double and Freeze. The concept is that you get more bang for your buck in meal preparation by doubling your recipe, serving half and freezing half for another time. I always do this near the end of my pregnancies in preparation for the postpartum phase. When I’m cooking dinner for my family – and if it’s freezer/leftover friendly – I double the recipe and freeze the extra half to be consumed during the postpartum phase when I absolutely will NOT be cooking dinner. I do declare! At the end of this process, we have a freezer full of meals and even if we have a Meal Train (see here), our freezer meals fill in the gaps nicely or extend the time meal preparation is unnecessary. Win!
Our last double and freeze was my go-to: Bean & Cheese Enchiladas (see here). But today I’m going to share another meal I love: Corn Chowder! This is a family recipe from my mother-in-law, and we make it all winter. It’s creamy and nourishing and mostly definitely has its roots in the Midwest. In other words: ignore this post if you’re dairy sensitive!
Here’s what you need:
- 4 cups water
- 7-8 medium potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 1.5 cups shredded parmesan cheese, and more for garnish, if desired
- Peel your potatoes and carrots. Dice them up and slice your celery. Chop your onion. Add all these vegetables to a large saucepan with the water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Do not drain!
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper and whisk until smooth. Slowly stir in the milk. Cook 10-15 minutes until thickened. Do not boil. Add the parmesan cheese and stir to melt.
- Add cream-style corn to the vegetable saucepan, then stir the sauce in as well. Cook 10 minutes longer or until heated throughout. Serve with biscuits or muffins.
How does Marabou support women?
We live in culture where “bouncing back” is more valued than proper rest. As admirable as it may be for a sports star to get back on the field, the same rules don’t apply to postpartum recovery. The traditional resting period has been stolen from women through pressure to get back to their job or simply through lack of presence.
Grandmas, sisters and best friends who otherwise would have been there to help a woman transition into motherhood often live too far away to be of any help. Household chores and caring for older children inevitably fall on the mom. But she just delivered a new life! She needs rest.
Marabou Services is a unique gift registry which provides services instead of stuff. Most mom’s get too many onesies, too many baby blankets and not enough helping hands. Break out of a destructive cultural norm and start a Marabou registry today.
With a Marabou registry you can sing up for any service which will benefit you or someone you know during the postpartum recovery period.
Postpartum doulas for a first time mom
House cleanings for moms of multiples
Childcare for moms with older children!
Once your registry is created, add it to any other registry or post it to your Facebook and ask friends and family contribute to your postpartum service, rather than buying you more stuff.